PDA

View Full Version : castle 240 timing question

Gary
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Doesnt the timing adjustments really do nothing more than allow more voltage/ amperage to pass to the motor?I know it fires this off at specific times, hence timing advance, but also voltage/ amperage correct?

domwilson
09-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Increasing motor timing can increase current draw and raising the temps on the motor.

Gary
09-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Why would the motor run hotter when the load is not changing? Same prop so it shoudnt change...no? Never did understand this but i do know more advance always made faster speeds for me.

domwilson
09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I was reading on this the other day. I can't seem to find the website. If I find it, I will post it. It was a very good article.

domwilson
09-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Here is a decent discussion on brushless motors... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1558046/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm. I thought I saved the link for timing to "My favorites" but I can't seem to find it.

Fluid
09-08-2009, 11:13 PM
With most FE motors, timing advance must match the amperage load. High loads distort the electromagnetic fields, and timing advance is required to put the magnets into the correct position to be pulled around to the next coil. Too little advance for the load hurts performance and can increase temperature by reducing the motor's efficiency. Too much timing advance adds heat for the same reason. It is a bit like the timing advance on an IC engine - but not exactly the same.

The Neu "D" wind motors do not respond to timing advance because of the way they are wound. These motors should be run at zero timing, or at least low timing. I found no measureable increase in speed but a real increase in heat by changing the advance on my 'D' Neus from zero to 15 degrees. The Neu "Y" wind motors like some advance....matching the load.

domwilson
09-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Not the article I found, but still worth a look.. http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/timing/timing.htm

domwilson
09-08-2009, 11:46 PM
With most FE motors, timing advance must match the amperage load. High loads distort the electromagnetic fields, and timing advance is required to put the magnets into the correct position to be pulled around to the next coil. Too little advance for the load hurts performance and can increase temperature by reducing the motor's efficiency. Too much timing advance adds heat for the same reason. It is a bit like the timing advance on an IC engine - but not exactly the same.

The Neu "D" wind motors do not respond to timing advance because of the way they are wound. These motors should be run at zero timing, or at least low timing. I found no measureable increase in speed but a real increase in heat by changing the advance on my 'D' Neus from zero to 15 degrees. The Neu "Y" wind motors like some advance....matching the load.

Very clear explanation. Thank you, Jay.

Gary
09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Fantastic !!!Thanks guys!!!!!!

Raydee
09-17-2009, 08:03 AM

Sorry to bring up a old post but that explains a lot with my Y wind experience. I was ready to scrap my 1515 1Y because it always seemed to run slow and hot, that was until I bumped up the timing. I figured if it ran hot on lower timing that it would be even worse on high timing. I was told at one point to run lower timing on my Y wind motor and found that with the same setup my electronics actually ran hotter with lower timing using the Y wind motor. My Y wind actually runs the best on Race timing, i don't mean the fastest but the coolest and fastest. The way Jay described that the timing has to match the load makes perfect sense. I just took out a D wind motor out of my Sport 40 and replaced it with a Y wind. I was going to run it on low timing but I bet I will again see higher temps then if I ran it on 14*-15* advance like my other Y wind motors.

With all of today electonics gadgets it should would be nice if one of the motor or esc manufacturers came out with a device that could plug in between the motor and ESC and basically tell you where the best timing should be. That would def save a lot of setup guesswork.

Raydee
09-17-2009, 08:05 AM

Sorry to bring up a old post but that explains a lot with my Y wind experience. I was ready to scrap my 1515 1Y because it always seemed to run slow and hot, that was until I bumped up the timing. I figured if it ran hot on lower timing that it would be even worse on high timing. I was told at one point to run lower timing on my Y wind motor and found that with the same setup my electronics actually ran hotter with lower timing using the Y wind motor. My Y wind actually runs the best on Race timing, i don't mean the fastest but the coolest and fastest. The way Jay described that the timing has to match the load makes perfect sense. I just took out a D wind motor out of my Sport 40 and replaced it with a Y wind. I was going to run it on low timing but I bet I will again see higher temps then if I ran it on 14*-15* advance like my other Y wind motors.

With all of today electonics gadgets it should would be nice if one of the motor or esc manufacturers came out with a device that could plug in between the motor and ESC and basically tell you where the best timing should be. That would def save a lot of setup guesswork.

DISAR
09-17-2009, 08:56 AM
My MGM ESC (25035 z) has an "auto timing" setting and I run it with that, don't know if it works though. Haven't tried yet with manual set timings.

Chilli
09-17-2009, 08:57 AM
I bumped up the timing in my 1515 1Y to 7 degrees on the Etti. I was afraid 15 would be too much but now I guess I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info guys!!

Chilli
09-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Well I tried bumping the timing up from 7 to 15 degrees on my 1515 1y and did some runs today. Motor temps were a little warmer, around 120, but not too bad. My ESC temp was pushing 140 causing some concern. Does too much advance increase heat only in the motor or does this have an effect on the ESC also?

Gary
09-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Did it run any faster?

Chilli
09-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Maybe a little. I did'nt GPS it. Club VP commented how good I had it running.

I have a race coming up next weekend so I'll try with both settings and see if the temp drops when I go back down to 7 degrees. I'll also get someone to take some lap times so I can see if there was any performance difference.

Chilli
09-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Does too much advance increase heat only in the motor or does this have an effect on the ESC also?

Anyone????:confused1: