PDA

View Full Version : Rio EP Brushless *Soon*

v-spec
09-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Well the Rio esc died the other day when I was testing props. So I stripped the hull today in preparation for brushless power.

I've still not finalized my set up power wise but I've been busy with other ideas. I'll post pics and info as I move along with this build. Here's a couple so far.

v-spec
09-05-2009, 11:14 PM
A few more pics. Mock up of SV27 hardware. Rudder bracket is a little big so I'm either going to modify it or find something else. The SV27 rudder blade is also about 1 inch longer than the Rio EP blade, not sure if I should go shorter or leave it this length since it's only a single rudder now...

SweetZ28
09-05-2009, 11:30 PM
was it possible to use the stock set up with like a 2900 3000 KV motor like the proboat widow maker 22?
Did you realy need to do that much work to it to get it brushless ready?

westbeach
09-05-2009, 11:51 PM
that's some serious work you have done there. The CF looks good. Are you upgrading the current flex shaft to higher gauge? BTW what is the stock flex shaft size? Seems like an 1/8".

v-spec
09-05-2009, 11:55 PM
was it possible to use the stock set up with like a 2900 3000 KV motor like the proboat widow maker 22?
Did you realy need to do that much work to it to get it brushless ready?

You could just drop a brushless right in. The only thing to worry about would be the water cooling jacket with the EP mount. If I used an L size 540 inrunner I could prob just stick the stock cooling coil on it but I was considering using an S size can and that would be to short to fit it. :beerchug:

v-spec
09-05-2009, 11:58 PM
that's some serious work you have done there. The CF looks good. Are you upgrading the current flex shaft to higher gauge? BTW what is the stock flex shaft size? Seems like an 1/8".

I will run a stock SV27 flex shaft in it. The stock one looks to be .130 cable I'm not positive though.

I'm trying to figure out how I want to mount the motor right now. Forward like factory or in the rear with batteries up front. ? ? ?

Thanks for asking about the flexshaft I was about to order one for an SV27 I forgot I already have 2 of them though!

SweetZ28
09-05-2009, 11:59 PM
You could just drop a brushless right in. The only thing to worry about would be the water cooling jacket with the EP mount. If I used an L size 540 inrunner I could prob just stick the stock cooling coil on it but I was considering using an S size can and that would be to short to fit it. :beerchug:
Cool so it's got good enough parts so you can just hook it up with a cheap brushless set up.. That's good ...you almost scared me away from getting this boat from the photos above ...I don't want to go that crazy if i get one.:thumbup1:

v-spec
09-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Cool so it's got good enough parts so you can just hook it up with a cheap brushless set up.. That's good ...you almost scared me away from getting this boat from the photos above ...I don't want to go that crazy if i get one.:thumbup1:

I had a feeling I might scare some people off. I really considered not doing what I've done for that reason. I never build my models or big stuff really over the top. I like to keep things simple and neat. All my boats are very conservative and I worry about driving, set up and consistency.

But today I thought what the heck I might as well do something I normally would not. Nothing wrong with a little fun I hope!!

SweetZ28
09-06-2009, 12:09 AM
I had a feeling I might scare some people off. I really considered not doing what I've done for that reason. I never build my models or big stuff really over the top. I like to keep things simple and neat. All my boats are very conservative and I worry about driving, set up and consistency.

But today I thought what the heck I might as well do something I normally would not. Nothing wrong with a little fun I hope!!

Nothing wrong with that !!
If i get one i will probably throw a cheap brushless system in it with a 3000KV motor and use the stock cooling but put a better coupler i hate thoase ones they used on it!

Good luck with your project hope it FLY'S for ya when all is done!!:thumbup1:

v-spec
09-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Nothing wrong with that !!
If i get one i will probably throw a cheap brushless system in it with a 3000KV motor and use the stock cooling but put a better coupler i hate thoase ones they used on it!

Good luck with your project hope it FLY'S for ya when all is done!!:thumbup1:

Get one and do it! I wanted the Widowmaker motor with a Blackjack esc for this boat but I could not find the motor in stock so I started getting other ideas!

tth
09-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Nice work on that carbon. She should be rigid now. I wonder how well that tactic system will work surrounded by Carbon Fiber? Just curious because I bought 12 new Rx's for all my boats. Now I would like to add Carbon Fiber in a few. Please keep us updated.

Thanks

v-spec
09-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Nice work on that carbon. She should be rigid now. I wonder how well that tactic system will work surrounded by Carbon Fiber? Just curious because I bought 12 new Rx's for all my boats. Now I would like to add Carbon Fiber in a few. Please keep us updated.

Thanks

Sure thing. My 2.4 worked okay in my Titan 29 with carbon floor. This boat has about the same amount laid in it so we'll see!

Steven Vaccaro
09-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I build my son a Delta 25 copy with a feigao 540 9L and x-power 100 on 2s lipo. I was trying to put together a 30mph boat that would be almost bullet proof. Ran it all day yesterday with no heat issues with a x442 prop. Its no saw about, 30 mph, but its fun and HOPEFULLY reliable. Every one always shoots for high rpm, this boat is only running about 20,000 rpm. I have a limited tool box, so I didnt have a temp gauge with me but the motor was barely noticeable as warm.

Just for the hell of it I'm going to give it a run on 3s, when my sons not looking. :bounce:

v-spec
09-06-2009, 10:41 AM
I build my son a Delta 25 copy with a feigao 540 9L and x-power 100 on 2s lipo. I was trying to put together a 30mph boat that would be almost bullet proof. Ran it all day yesterday with no heat issues with a x442 prop. Its no saw about, 30 mph, but its fun and HOPEFULLY reliable. Every one always shoots for high rpm, this boat is only running about 20,000 rpm. I have a limited tool box, so I didnt have a temp gauge with me but the motor was barely noticeable as warm.

Just for the hell of it I'm going to give it a run on 3s, when my sons not looking. :bounce:

My UL-1 has a 1500kv motor on 4s and it's RPM is low but I'm right at mid fourties right now and it's a great boat. I usually run for a timed 3 mins but yesterday I ended up with about 5 adults and at least 10 kids that were going crazy over the boat so I ran it about 5 mins straight and things were just a little on the high side of warm. Maybe felt like 105 or so on motor and esc and batteries were cold.

tth
09-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree with you both lower Kv ratings and a little more voltage keeps things cooler. Not as many amps.

V-Spec thanks for the info on the Carbon, I'll be waiting to hear from you Friday.

SweetZ28
09-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I agree with you both lower Kv ratings and a little more voltage keeps things cooler. Not as many amps.

V-Spec thanks for the info on the Carbon, I'll be waiting to hear from you Friday.

Hi but if you use a much smaller prop on a higher KV motor won't it draw less amps and kind of work the same way as lower KV with more voltage ?

Steven Vaccaro
09-07-2009, 08:52 AM
I ran it yesterday on a 3s pack and it was crazy fast. But heated up the esc a tad. Motor was still nice and cool.

v-spec
09-08-2009, 10:13 PM
You should post some of your boats on the site Steve! I've not been able to make up my mind on what to do motor esc wise with the Rio so in the meantime I'm working on my UL-1 and H&M Eco.

I'll get the Rio up and running as soon as I got everything here and get some updates. I'm pretty anxious to get it going again! :buttrock:

chummer
10-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Any updates on this.

Brushless55
10-15-2009, 01:54 AM
any up dates v-spec??
I got mine in the mail today, and will be heading to the lake this week with it! :cool2:

hyrulejedi86
10-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey V-spec How'd you get the plastic battery holder and Dry box off without damaging the hull?

chummer
10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey V-spec How'd you get the plastic battery holder and Dry box off without damaging the hull?

If you look at the pics closely it looks like he cut it out and just trimmed it as close as he could and left the remainder glued to the bottom of the hull.

Brushless55
10-17-2009, 12:43 AM
anyone with a brushless Rio EP yet?

soulreaper
10-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Next week. I was holding off from saying anything. In fact I already have a brushless in the boat. Im working on fitting the brushless esc in the water tight compartment.( It is a pain and progress is slow). However it will still be done. Im waiting for Mike's PISTIX to arrive. The brushless esc im going to use is an align 75 esc, but it is an airplane esc, so the Pistix will allow me to use it with a pistol grip radio. I had these brushless items laying around so I thought I might be able to put them to good use. I also found out that I will be needing a smaller prop, so I have to order one. I dont know if the smaller prop will be here by Wednesday but I will still try and do a test run with the prop I already have, Ill just have to take it easy. The first run is only a test anyway. My next day off from work will be Wednesday. I dont have a video camera, just a camera that records video, so the video quality wont be that great and I should have video posted Wednesday night. If I have problems posting a video I will beg for some help on this forum. I'll tell all Wednesday.... Here a couple of appetizers. Oh yeah the date on the camera was wrong.

Reaper.

Brushless55
10-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey v-spec, hows your Rio comming along?

SweetZ28
10-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi What's the KV rating on your motor?

Next week. I was holding off from saying anything. In fact I already have a brushless in the boat. Im working on fitting the brushless esc in the water tight compartment.( It is a pain and progress is slow). However it will still be done. Im waiting for Mike's PISTIX to arrive. The brushless esc im going to use is an align 75 esc, but it is an airplane esc, so the Pistix will allow me to use it with a pistol grip radio. I had these brushless items laying around so I thought I might be able to put them to good use. I also found out that I will be needing a smaller prop, so I have to order one. I dont know if the smaller prop will be here by Wednesday but I will still try and do a test run with the prop I already have, Ill just have to take it easy. The first run is only a test anyway. My next day off from work will be Wednesday. I dont have a video camera, just a camera that records video, so the video quality wont be that great and I should have video posted Wednesday night. If I have problems posting a video I will beg for some help on this forum. I'll tell all Wednesday.... Here a couple of appetizers. Oh yeah the date on the camera was wrong.

Reaper.

shannon87
09-08-2010, 12:37 AM
hi vspec, my names shannon and i noticed all the great work you have done on the rio. Now im going brushless too and a few people gave me some awesome advice,

as they said im goin to suffer with torque roll/ prop walk and the suggested to change the prop and add an adjustable strut i was thinking of doing wat you have done is using the sv27 hardware.

I was wondering how easy was it to mount , how did you go about it, also how did you go about installing the other parts of the drive such as the stuffing tube ,

did you use the stock servo and if so or if not how did you mount it,

as i am going to attempt this conversion my self and any info would be greatly appreciated. Also what did you use to remove and clean up the battery tray etc