PDA

View Full Version : Rio EP run impressions.

v-spec
09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Well I really wan't this to sound positive so more of you guys buy the boat but I'm going to be really honest instead!

First off it's slow! Now I expected this but I did not think it would be as slow as it is.
GPS'ed with everything stock (I unbent the crooked fins and rudders) exactly 13.5mph on fresh charged Orion 4500 nimh cells. Stock prop is an frp 42mm.

Next up nothing done but prop swap to an Octura M435 3 blade prop. 14.4mph

Next up Y535 could hardly get on plane with it for some reason 13.7mph

The Rio EP ran much better with the M435/3 so I decided to loosen the boat up a bit by adjusting the trim tabs up aprox 1mm, stuck it back in the water and hit 15.8mph

Almost 16mph felt pretty good and it did not look as slow as it was. This is a perfect speed for a young kid or my girlfriend. One thing that sucks though is my stock Traxxas Blast hit 18.2mph right afterwards. The Rio handles much better though.

I mentioned in my other post I would guess the boat was running maybe 13mph and I was pretty dead on today. Long story short. It's time for some mods! :buttrock:

Grimracer
09-02-2009, 07:48 PM
vspec..

your post is honest and well done..

The Rio EP was not designed to be a speed demon.. If that was the case it would have been brushless.

The market for this boat is the new guy that just wants to get the feel for an RC boat and the 2.4 is hobby shop friendly.. do ya know what I mean?

Anywho.. YEP.. its time to MAKE IT ROCK.. mine has went 22 on a brush (Speed 600) motor and 7 cells..

Lets have some fun………

Grimracer CHALLENGE to the go fast guys……..Go ahead.. knock it off the top!

ROCK ON!

Grim

Disclaimer: Modifying you boat will void the warranty.. but I bet you knew that!

westbeach
09-02-2009, 08:25 PM
V-spec,

Thanks for your honest feedback about the speed. I will be getting one, regardless of its speed fast or slow. Just because I think and it looks like a fun boat to play around with. It would be a great boat for my son to start out with. And the price is pretty good indeed considering the 2.4 ghz radio included with.

SweetZ28
09-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the input on the speed.
At least you have a great radio with it and a great hull so i guess it's worth it with a cheap brushless set up it should be very nice.

Grimracer
09-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Z-28

to the go fast guy.........BINGO!

Grim... Ex-Lt1 power Z28 owner....

v-spec
09-02-2009, 09:13 PM
V-spec,

Thanks for your honest feedback about the speed. I will be getting one, regardless of its speed fast or slow. Just because I think and it looks like a fun boat to play around with. It would be a great boat for my son to start out with. And the price is pretty good indeed considering the 2.4 ghz radio included with.

The boat looks great that's for sure! And as I've said before for $150 bucks or so you can't really go wrong. I feel the boat is a good value and it's of course ready for mods!

I'm just trying to figure out what I want to buy as far as upgrades and to me that's one of the most fun parts of rc boating! :banana:

v-spec
09-02-2009, 09:23 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. The boat actually runs much better and is noticeably faster than my 15.8 MPH gps readings without actually having my heavy gps on board. With the limited power this boat produces I feel the added weight and placement of my GPS makes a difference worth noting.

westbeach
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I guess, finding the right prop might get you a few more mph! And then maybe 7 cells to boot. But ultimately a brushless setup would be the cats meow with lipos.:beerchug:

SweetZ28
09-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Z-28

to the go fast guy.........BINGO!

Grim... Ex-Lt1 power Z28 owner....
:beerchug: COOL!
I own a 81 Z28 see in my photo for my name...
It's apart now almost finished with a ZZ4 crate motor & headers with pypes x pipe exhaust system and all suspension work everythings almost new under it ...I put polygraphite on every bushing that was rubber throughout the car before i took the motor out ...It has 17in tires 245 up front 275 out back with racing swaybars it handles like a UL1 like it's on rails!

SweetZ28
09-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I guess, finding the right prop might get you a few more mph! And then maybe 7 cells to boot. But ultimately a brushless setup would be the cats meow with lipos.:beerchug:
Yea the proboat widow maker 22 uses a 30 amp ESC and a 2900KV motor... I just ordered a 35 amp esc and a 3300KV motor from swanghobby in china last week and I plan on putting it in my apache 24 if it works well i will probably get a Rio EP and do the same or something close to it.

spence72
09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
vspec..

your post is honest and well done..

The Rio EP was not designed to be a speed demon.. If that was the case it would have been brushless.

The market for this boat is the new guy that just wants to get the feel for an RC boat and the 2.4 is hobby shop friendly.. do ya know what I mean?

Anywho.. YEP.. its time to MAKE IT ROCK.. mine has went 22 on a brush (Speed 600) motor and 7 cells..

Lets have some fun………

Grimracer CHALLENGE to the go fast guys……..Go ahead.. knock it off the top!

ROCK ON!

Grim

Disclaimer: Modifying you boat will void the warranty.. but I bet you knew that!

Grim,

What motor/prop combination did you use for your 22 mph run? It wouldn't happen to be a Great Planes Electrifly S-600?

Nice boat BTW, it handles well and looks good. I love the 2.4GHz radio. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see what you have next up your sleeve.

Grimracer
09-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Spence72

Hum.. good home work dude.. yea it was a Spped 600.. on 7 cells.

Just so you know i did end up nukeing the ESC after a few of them runs but hea.. it was fun.

You know.. i wonder.. i have not tryed this........ http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKBF5&P=7

Grim

spence72
09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Grim! Funny…I was eyeing that speed control also.

Jesse J
09-13-2009, 12:20 PM
So is the stock speedo the weak point in this model?

We have one as gift for a first boat and are getting it tuned up before handing over the transmitter.

How many amps/volts can it really handle and not go poof?

v-spec
09-13-2009, 01:15 PM
I would change the esc. I may have killed mine with the m435 prop but I was having esc trouble before any prop swaps at all just all stock. Waiting on some more parts to arrive then I'll have the Rio up and running again!

Karfrik
09-21-2009, 10:22 PM
can any of you guys tell me the Lenght x Width of this rudders? also how wide is the transom mounting bracket and distance between mounting screws also?......I`m looking to fit one to another boat i have and the price is not bad for a double-rudder setup.thanks in advance for your time,......Albert/karfrik

Capt. Crash
09-23-2009, 12:35 PM
You know.. i wonder.. i have not tryed this........ http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKBF5&P=7

Grim

I haven't used the C-35, but I use the Electri-Fly C-55 in several of my cracker boats and it's my favorite brushed ESC. When you lose signal the boat stops until the signal is re-aquired...no wide open bonzi runs and its easy to program.

I cooked my first one last week in my Pro Boat Chris Craft Run About. I was running a Titan 12turn and it worked great with a 4700 NiMh 6 pack...but when I dropped in a 5250 7.4v MaxAmp lipo pack it only made it through one pack and part of another before it died. I did let it cool off between runs. And I only ran the 1st pack to 50% discharge before bringing her in. I think the combo of the 12T and the Lipo was too much for the ESC. I replaced the ESC with a new C-55 and replaced the 12T with a Titan Marine 23 Turn motor. Haven't tried it yet but I hope it won't cook off another ESC.

Crash

Brushless55
10-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Spence72

Hum.. good home work dude.. yea it was a Spped 600.. on 7 cells.

Just so you know i did end up nukeing the ESC after a few of them runs but hea.. it was fun.

Grim

That little gem will take 4s!

austin
11-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Hello,
I have just purchased a Rio EP and what sold me was when you said it liked rough water. I like speed but I like wake busting(jumping ) better. My question to you is when you used the S 600 motor what size prop did you use and om the motor how many capacitors did you install? I am getting the C-55
ini btushed ESC for safety sake,
Thanks
austin

austin
11-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Hello, I am a new member and read your post on the C-55 ESC. Did you run your Rio EP with the TiIan Marine 23 turn motor/ How did it work and was there an increse in speed over the stock Motor in the RioEP.
Thanks
austin