PDA

View Full Version : Boat from scratch

RC Mechanic
07-31-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm just kinda wondering, has anyone built an RC scale boat from scratch? I mean like a scale boat. It would be possible if you makde it out of wood and stuff. Im just looking for a few cheap projects and wanted to know if anyone has done it.
BTW im not talking about a performance boat, just a scaler.

SJFE
07-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes It's done all the time. RCU has a scale forum..do some digging and you will find it.

ROOSTERTAIL
08-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm just kinda wondering, has anyone built an RC scale boat from scratch? I mean like a scale boat. It would be possible if you makde it out of wood and stuff. Im just looking for a few cheap projects and wanted to know if anyone has done it.
BTW im not talking about a performance boat, just a scaler. Why not build a Scale HI PO hydro. Go to either ERCU, or CLASSIC THUNDER 1/10 scale racing hydros web sights. They are all scale and most built from wood. Another good thread on Wood built scratch scale racers is on RUM RUNNER RACING Look for the CONTEST BUILD THREADS their are some great boats that were built and a new contest will be beginning soon. Just an idea on the best of both worlds Performance and scale.

RC Mechanic
08-01-2007, 11:57 AM
No, if i built something scale it wouldn't be a racing boat. At least not at first, I would want to build some sort of old wooden fishing boat first, just to see if I could do it, then I would get into racing.

RC Mechanic
08-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Okay well as you will ifnd out I change my mind alot when thinking of a project. But who doesn't? The hardest part of building a custom boat would be to build the hull. In my research I ended up on Traxxas's homepage and saw that they sell the lower hull to the Villian at only $30. That doesn't include the upper deck. But I figured I could just find a rtr boat and use the lower hull from it.
If I do use a RTR boat hull, I would prefer to use something different because I already have a villian EX. I would also it to be at least the same size but preferably a bit bigger by up to 8 inches or something around there.

So anyone have any suggestions on what hull to use? BTW i guess im going with a speedboat now. LOL.

saleens7
08-01-2007, 09:58 PM
you could try out one of the new delta force hulls steven sells here...they are relatively low priced for being fibreglass hulls....

there is a 33"

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=delta33

and a 41"

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=delta41

hull that is in the size you want...

if you dont want to spend too much on a hull, bby racing has some cheap ABS hulls....they make the oval master 29...i beleive its 29" long and is only 65$...(youll get 25% off if you mention Rum Runner's Sale in the Special Instructions box....)...they also have a 26" version of it and they also sell catamarans up to 32" long
http://www.bbyracing.com/elecmonohulls.asp

http://www.bbyracing.com/electunnelsandcats.asp

the reason why these hulls are so cheap is because the hulls arent assembled (the bby hulls)..however, they are relatively simple to assemble, just glue the hull to the deck...i also find it better since you can install the internal components easier without the deck in the way....)..

what kind of motor/esc/batts you thinking of running?

RC Mechanic
08-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok scratch that lost post. I changed my mind again. Im going to build a very simple wooden boat hull. It will be a simple mono hull. The bow won't be curved or bent wood but it will still be a bow and get the boat on plane. I have drawn up some very rough plans. If I ever get to start this project I will be sure to start a build thread and document every step I take.

RC Mechanic
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Oh wow, those Oval master hulls aren't very expensive at all. I might try at the wood first but might end up scrapping it and starting over with the oval master or something. I won't start buying electronics till I get the lower hull done. SO if I mess up its only the cost of the wood and epoxy that I lose.

BTW what type of wood should I be looking for? Speed isn't of the essenece but it would be nice to be able to get 13 MPH at least. But ill be lucky if i get MPH or any MPH for that sake. LOL. Im looking to build the boat about 36 inches long and 8 inchs wide. DOes that sound about right or......

saleens7
08-01-2007, 10:17 PM
i have the OM21 right now...im surprised how tough these hulls are...mine does porpose, but its because my CoG is too far back and i cant move the batts any more forward...

RC Mechanic
08-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Im not really looking for a great performance boat or anything. I mean i still want it to be fun to drive and still somewhat fast, but I'm more looking for just a project and a boat to have to say I built that. Does 36 inchs by 8 inchs sound about right as far as demensions? The type of boat im going for is in the link below.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19FT-1977-GLASTON-RUNABOUT_W0QQitemZ220134808365QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6 3685QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I might do the rounded windsheild, but thats all later.

Stealth Assassin
08-02-2007, 08:42 AM
I have built a few from balsa and I would say build you one. There's nothing like running your own hull!

RC Mechanic
08-02-2007, 01:53 PM
So what kind of wood should I look at using? I need something cheap and easy to work with. I have a saber saw that I can use to cut the wood.
Also for a 36 inch boat what kind of motor should I be looking at? Would a 550 23 turn motor similair to the Traxxas Emaxx titan work ok? Im not planning on doing and gear reduction either.

Also since I'm building this hull from scratch I would like to do something a little different for the water pickup. Instead of a random tube hanging from the back of the boat, Im going to make a built in water pickup on the underside on of the hull. That way it won't get knocked off as easily. I'll also make a custom trailer for it if the boats gets finished.

saleens7
08-02-2007, 01:57 PM
for a 36" boat, i would go brushless....unless you use the 800 size brushed motor (which costs more than a feigao anyway) youll want to go brushless....i think you should try those new KB45 motors (on this site)....

and a 550 motor....way to small for a 36" hull....mine get pretty hot just from using a 31mm prop in a little 21" hull....

RC Mechanic
08-02-2007, 03:15 PM
oh really? THe reason I want to use the 550 is I can get it for $3. lol. Like I said Im not trying to make a performance boat. If the 550 will at least plane it up ill be happy.

Stealth Assassin
08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
oh really? THe reason I want to use the 550 is I can get it for $3. lol. Like I said Im not trying to make a performance boat. If the 550 will at least plane it up ill be happy.

On the motor get In touch with doozie here on the site. He can get those 800 motors preety dang cheap... IMHO, For what you want I would at least get the 800. It's a tough play/test motor.

For wood I use 1/8" birtch for the bulkheads and 1/8" balsa for the skins. You can find this at hobby or craft shops. Then coat the hull a couple times with epoxy. You might could use polyester glass resin If you did not want to pay for epoxy... IMHO...

RC Mechanic
08-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Okay, Ill find doozie and give him a pm i guess. One thing that i just thought of though, Megatech makes a .16 engine and you can get them brand new on ebay for about $50. Would it be worth trying to hook one of these up or would it be too complicated? Never hooked up a nitro engine in a boat so IDK.

Ill give doozie a pm and see how much he can get me a motor for and if he can get me a motor.

Stealth Assassin
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Nitro takes alot of tuning.........:p The brushed 800 will be just right for you. Tell him I sent you.

RC Mechanic
08-02-2007, 07:10 PM
ok, I sent him a PM. I said i was talking with you so I guess that enough. Thanx for the help. Ill let you know what he says.

BTW as far as a speed control I have a few spares laying around. One is a Traxxas XL-5 and the other is an Older Novak M-10 or M-510 or something like that. Will one of these work for the speed control? They are for cars so they aren't water cooled. I might be able to rig something up on the novak though. But will one of these work ok for the speed control? THe biggest motor ive ever used is a 550.

Also I was planing on running 6 and 7 cell stick packs in these. SO the system being 7.2-8.4 volts. WOuld this be ok or should I plan on going up to a 14-16 cell setup?

saleens7
08-02-2007, 07:25 PM
with the 800, youll want to run 14-20 cells..i havent checked those esc's out yet, but i know the XL-5 can only handle 8 cells and i dont know about the novak, but knowing its meant for rc cars, i would guess it will only take around 8-9 cells....

you should use either the Rc-Hydro's 90 amp esc (which has a 450amp surge)...its probably the best brushed esc out there and its waterproof and watercooled...this is is bulletproof (not literally of course, but you get my point)....the other option is the Jeti Navy 600....up to 30 cells, can take up to 60 amps, waterproof, watercooled....

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hl-je600n

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=rch-vic1032

(only problem is the jeti is out of stock...although the rc-hydros esc costs more, from the comments i hear about it, its worth every penny...)

RC Mechanic
08-02-2007, 07:32 PM
THe novak only handles up to 10 cells. One possible solution for me would be to use a traxxas EVX> i can make that watercooled. I have one in my emaxx which I will be selling pretty soon. Ill just leave the EVX out of the deal and keep that. That way I will be able to run 14 and 16 cells. Ill be using the batterys I use for my trucks so I am stuck to 6 cell batteries and 7 cell batteries. I just have to use those, but I can make a harness to wire them what ever way I want, series or parallel. SO the 800 sized motor, traxxas EVX speed control, wooden hull. It seems to be coming together. I just have to find some wood.

BTW Stealth- you said birch would be good for the bulkheads. I don't like asking this cuz it makes me feel like to much of a noob but what are the bulkheads? DO you mean the skeleton part when you say that or????

Also how much do you think 1/8 birch will run me? WHat about balsa? Thanx

Doozie870
08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
The mabuchi 800 runs great on 12 cells. in stock form, expect about 3-4 mph over the ss1 while pulling less amps, also it is one tough SOB. :D

RC Mechanic
08-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanx doozie. I'm going to get the hull done first and everything b4 I start dumping money into electronics.

RC Mechanic
08-03-2007, 01:36 PM
this is just a possibility but this allelectronics.com has really cheap motors. Mainly 550s though. I found this one thats looks much bigger but IDK how big or the size of the motor. Any idea if it could be modded to work?
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/DCM-311/400200/DC_MOTOR_W__OPTICAL_TACHOMETER_.html

saleens7
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
way too little rpm....only 2350 at 24v

RC Mechanic
08-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok, what RPM should I be shooting for?

RC Mechanic
08-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Theres this motor that is 15,200 RPM at 12 volts, so i sould get some more if i ran it at 14.4 volts or 16.8

RC Mechanic
08-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Sorry forgot the link.
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/DCM-266/400200/DC_MOTOR,_3-24_VDC_.html

saleens7
08-03-2007, 03:41 PM
i think thats a 550 or 600 size motor....still too small....for a 36" hull youll want an 800 size....just use the one on this site

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-6375

RC Mechanic
08-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Ok thanx. I just figured that It doesn't hurt to ask.

RC Mechanic
08-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Ok well i have one more idea on a motor. Just trying to think of things to save $$$$. I have an old fold up electric scooter sitting in the garage. I think the speed control or something is broke on it cuz it doesn't work. The motor in that Is much bigger than an 800 sized but i think it might fit in the boat. Its probably twice the diameter of a 550 motor. Just a thought. If not ill buy the 800 from doozie when i get the hull built.

saleens7
08-04-2007, 01:02 AM
its probably a vry low rpm motor....my neighbor has a similar scooter that runs on 36v and i cant tell by the gearing and how fast the scooter goes that the motor doesent spin more than a few thousand rpms...(maybe not even a thousand)....uless you use a rediculously large prop it probably wont work...and besides, youll need to run it on the same voltage (probably 36volts) to turn the same rpms it does in the scooter....those scooters batts arent exactly what i would call light....youd be much better off with an 800.....

RC Mechanic
08-04-2007, 01:15 AM
this scooter is 12 volt actually. So if i ran 16.8 volts it would be moving fast. IDK, ill look more into it later. I can always use the 800.

I was talking to a friend about this earlier and they mentioned something about using foam since its cheap and light. ANd coating the foam with fiberglass. IDK if it would be strong enough still. What do you guys think?

Also I guess I should go on and buy some wood to start the skeleton. Home depot has a 2 foot by 4 foot sheet of wood that isn't too expensive. Not sure exactly what kind. It has 3 layers though. Any chance that would work for the Ribs?

Quicksilver
08-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Just finished reading this thread. Good to see a scratch builder once and a while. Have you decided what type of boat you're making. I think it would be easier for you to find a boat you like and try to copy or at least use the design for inspiration.

For a first boat I'd go simple. Maybe a nice shallow vee, with a constant dead rise(angle of hull). Or you said originally you were thinking about a scale boat, well you could make a PT boat. Doesnt have to be completely scale and theyre fairly easy to make, especially since the real boats were designed to build cheap and easily. Could still use a single motor, I agree with others on just getting a 800, you could post a pic of that scooter motor, maybe it's usable.

Also, the bulkhead material. three ply is fine, as long as it's thin enough, you dont want to use some 1/4" ply or something. Make sure it's 1/8" approx. For the keel piece, I'd go double thick.

Do you have any hobby stores around you, they usually have the perfect woods to use. Home depot is tough to find the correct materials, though sometimes you're lucky.

Fiberglass covered foam will work, but I'm not sure it's any easier, in fact imo I think it would be tougher, just because you're not using framing, and it's just tough to keep things symmetrical. Maybe it's just me.... Foam is great for small boats, but I think you should stick with wood. Also keep in mind, a wood boat hull, need not be very thick if you fiberglass the hull after it's built. So keep it light as possible.

Sorry for the long rambling reply, very late night post as usual.

RC Mechanic
08-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanx for the input quicksilver. Ive got a hobbytownUSA up the street ill see what kind of wood they have after I stop by Home depot and see what they have. I'll also pick up some epoxy and a building board ar whatever you call it to build the skeleton and the skin of the lower hull.

As far as a boat, I thikn im going with an older style of speedboat. SOmething in the ballpark of the link below (gona have a windshelid, the one in the link doesn't) Its not going to look exactly like that but somewhere in the ballpark of that. Also instead of the flat bottom its going to be a shallow vee

Stealth Assassin
08-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Rc M what state do you live In?

1/8" birch for bulkheads and 1/8" balsa for skins and you will be set...

Also remember to build on the most flat surface you can find.

RC Mechanic
08-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm in kentucky.

I went to home depot and they had a a 1/4 sheet of birch for $5 and I went on and picked that up for the ribs. Is that what you mean by the bulkheads?

I can use the 1/8 balsa for the skin. does 1/8 balsa bend prety easily? I mean as far as the bow? can i bend balse without doing anything to it or......

Also as far as building the skeleton, will this 1/4 birch work, its pretty light and i figured since its a bit thicker that it will make the boat stronger. Also I might extend the length to 40 inches now. Just an extra 4 inches to the 36. '

When I build this thing I build on a flat board right? Ih sen some pics of people doing that. DO I glue the ribs down to the buildig board with hot glue or some just temporarily?

Stealth Assassin
08-04-2007, 03:14 PM
40" Is big for what power you want to use. You should be building In the range of 24" to 30 max IMHO... Especially with 1/4". 1/8" Is more Ideal but, It does cost alot more.

The balsa Is perfect for bending and super light weight.

RC Mechanic
08-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Well I was planning on 36inch originally. My villian EX is 31 inch and I wanted to build something bigger. The 800 motor that he has here on offshore says 30-40inch hulls. Also I was kind thinking of maybe instead of using balsa for the skin that I could use a foam, since thats bendable and cheap and it would help in floatation of the boat, also its cheap. what do you think?

Stealth Assassin
08-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Haha... Dude you change your mind by the second!:confused: ;) Most peeps cover the foam with balsa If they take that route. The villian hull Is made out of a lighter material than wood...

You can build that thing 100" out of 3/4" birch If you want to, It's your turd!:D Hahahaha... J/K Bro!

RC Mechanic
08-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Yep thats me, when im thinking of a project I DO change my mind A LOT. LOL. So what do you think would be the best route to take? 40inch with 1/4 birch and foam skin so it would float and be lighter or.....

would the 800 motor power that one good? ALso can you fiberglass foam? Or epoxy coat it?

mike a.
08-04-2007, 11:40 PM
I would just use balsa for the skin, it is super easy to bend. i just dip the wood in water and use a steam iron and it just bends right around to the shape desired. I would also try somthing smaller than 40 in because most of the balsa sheets that i have seen are only 36 in long.

i think that since this is your first build then you may want to get some plans to follow, like maybe some Garry Finlay boat plans (there free). That way you'll really know how to build a boat that is also very fast and very easy to build, then go on and design your own boat and build it and that way you'll have some experience with building your own boat and setting it up.

RC Mechanic
08-04-2007, 11:52 PM
WHere can I get these gary finlay plans?

Also as far as bending wood, you said you soak it in water and them steam the balsa with a steam iron. What is that? Something special or....? I have a cleaner steamer that shoots out steam if that would somhow work but Ive never seen a steam iron or how its done.

I looked around for free plans but couldn't find any. If you could give me a link or something to a bunch of free plans that would be great. Thanx

mike a.
08-05-2007, 12:04 AM
http://www.rc-hydros.com/

www.rc-hydros.com

I just use my moms clothes iron, it just uses steam to flatten the clothes. I had the same situation as you and i wanted to design and build my own boat. So i found these hydroplane plans and it was the easiest boat to build. The boat i built is the 1/16th Sport round nose. Just put the plans on a jumpdrive or somthing like that and bring it in to like a kinkos and have them print it out.

mike a.
08-05-2007, 12:15 AM
I forgot to tell you though that a hydroplane wont be able to handle much chop or winds. If running in some waves then build a mono.

RC Mechanic
08-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah Im definitly building a mono, no question about it, unless I found a good catamaran but that might be later down the road.

SO you can just use a cloths iron with the steamer thing on it? Kooll, ive got one of those. I'm about to take a look at the plans. Thanx.

RC Mechanic
08-05-2007, 12:37 AM
i took a look at the plans just now, they look good but they only have one monohull and it doesn't looks like something I'm wanting. ANyone know of any other sites with free boat plans? Im going to do a few searches on Google

RC Mechanic
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
anyone? I'm trying to find some plans for a sport looking mono hull. around 36inches long

RC Mechanic
08-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I have been looking around looking for plans. There are very few mono hull plans out there. Anyway I came across this thread on google about people tlaking about this boat called the wild thing. It looks about the perfect hull for what I need. Simple, however I would have to some some mods to make it run an enelctric motor and have a hatch cover. Anyone know where I could find some plans for this? Even though its a bit shorter thats fine, this is my first boat build.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4194290/anchors_4194290/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4194290

Mich. Maniac
08-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Wing it. I built one from cardboard and started building a frame. Yeah, It went in the fireplace after a week of trying. its possible but I was in same spot. I knew what i wanted but didnt wanted it to be a long drawn out mistake

RC Mechanic
08-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Nah, I don't want to wing it if I know the plans are out there in the open floating around. I just don't know where they are floating around. LOL

RC Mechanic
08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Okay< i found some plans are started making the pieces today, I made the transom and 2 of the bulkheads of out the 1/4 burch like the plans said, I also made the stringers. Coming along good. I might have t remake one of the bulkheads again though. WHere the stringer connects to it in the slit, I dremeled it to make the slit bigger so the stringer would fit, the dremel got away from me cuz of the bit I was using and now there is a bit too much room. :(, oh well, that bulkhead is fairly easy to make

Stealth Assassin
08-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Post pics grass hopper!

RC Mechanic
08-09-2007, 07:10 PM
LOL, grass hopper my new nickname now. XD, it does fit me. LOL. Now that Im starting to build I can't change my mind as much. Pics are on there way. I have part of the skeleton done.

I'm uploading the pics to photobucket now, will be posted in a few minutes

RC Mechanic
08-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Okay Pics are in

Here is the basic skeleton I have so far, Ill sand everything down and get everything smmoth and stuff later.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/tmaxx91/P1010319.jpg

The bulkhead I messed up on, the slits are too big, might have to make another. It also needs to be sanded.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/tmaxx91/P1010316.jpg

You can see the extra space here
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/tmaxx91/P1010320.jpg

The stringers. I know the holes aren't perfectly straight but its my first build and its not going to be perfect.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/tmaxx91/P1010315.jpg

More to come

RC Mechanic
08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
The transom and radiocompartment bulkhead/end.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/tmaxx91/P1010317.jpg

Opps. I messed these up earlier
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/tmaxx91/P1010318.jpg

RC Mechanic
08-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Well any comments?

I need to pick up some 1/8 wood. ANy suggestions on what to use? This is for the forward to bulkheads. Can I use 1/8 for the skin?

Stealth Assassin
08-10-2007, 04:04 PM
What kit boat Is that?

RC Mechanic
08-10-2007, 04:49 PM
I,m 99% sure that its the wild thing scaled down. I just found the plans on the internet

Stealth Assassin
08-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Where did you get It?

RC Mechanic
08-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Some old thread on RC Universe had the file free for download. I don't have the link, downloaded it then looked at it and realized it was the wild thing.

RC Mechanic
08-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Any suggestions on the type of wood to use for the skin? I went to the LHS and looked at their wood, but shew, they were expensive. They had the perfect wood but the overall bill would have been $40 just for the skin and the upper deck.

RC Mechanic
08-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Come on guys? I need help on the skin. WHat can I use? Need something that is easy to work with and cheap. My LHS had some very thin birch but it was way to expensive.