PDA

View Full Version : Seaducer FE-38

Doug Smock
07-31-2007, 01:37 PM
I haven't posted a build thread in a long time, and never here, so I thought I would share this one.
It's a 38" Seaducer that I am going to power with a Neu 1521-1Y and 6s 2p Neu Energy 25/50 4900s.

Doug

SJFE
07-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Nice looking hull Doug. What do you plan for hardware? Also what do you have in mind for a hatch?

hkusp45
07-31-2007, 02:22 PM
I like the seaducer hulls. I too am interrested in the hatch that you will be using....

Doug Smock
07-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys,
Seaducer hardware and a clear lexan hatch for now.
I plan on making hatches for my 33 and this one at some point. Maybe this winter.

Doug

Doby
07-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Looks nice, One guy in our club has a nitro version that never seems to run well, I can't wait to show him your build so he can see how it should run:D

Doug Smock
07-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Well,

It's hard to see but the floatation is in. It goes from the keel up to the deck, all the way to the bow. I used Gorilla glue to keep it there just in case of a catostrophic hull failure.:eek: Hopefully........... the money will stay with the floatation.
It also strenghtens the front of the hull.
The hardware is installed and the elongated hole for the drive is in.
This is my first attempt at a "irrigated shaft alley". A small portion of the keel at the transom will be flooded, but this will allow plenty of room for strut adjustment.

Doug

Doug Smock
08-01-2007, 06:01 PM
This is a long heavy motor so I made this two piece aluminum motor mount. The inside of the ring is covered with large fuel tubing split lengthwise. The motor fits good and snug.:)

I installed 6-32 blind nuts in the 1/8" ply base plate to attach the motor mount, and put some stringers under the plate to give it alot of surface to glue to. The marked center section will be glassed to the hull as well.
If it ever comes loose, I'll allways think it shouldn't have.LOL

Doug

SJFE
08-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Excellent work on the mount. I may look you up for one of them :).

Doug Smock
08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Excellent work on the mount. I may look you up for one of them :).
Thanks Tom,
I don't own a mill, YET.
I made that with a drill press, files, and a $14.00 brake from Harbor Freight.:eek:
It took some time but I'm happy with the results.:)

Doug

Doozie870
08-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the build! its nice to see how the big boys do it!
One thing I have trouble with, is making the initial marks on the hull for the hardware installation, is there a trick or a template that you make?

Stealth Assassin
08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks Tom,
I don't own a mill, YET.
I made that with a drill press, files, and a $14.00 brake from Harbor Freight.:eek:
It took some time but I'm happy with the results.:)

Doug

Killer Idea with the tubing also how do you seal off the elongated hole for the stuffing tube?

Doug Smock
08-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Big boys, LOL. Thanks man, but I'm just a seasoned rookie.

I just tape up the transom, find the centerline and go from there. Measure and check everything twice and start drilling.
As far as setup, I went with Seaducers instructions on this one. Jerry knows his Monos!!!!!
Doug

Doug Smock
08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Killer Idea with the tubing also how do you seal off the elongated hole for the stuffing tube?

I'll set two bulkheads to support the tube and then box in the shaft log with ply, glass and epoxy.
I'll try to post some GOOD pics of it. I'm almost at a stand still until the cells arrive.:( I want to be able to run 1 or 2p in this boat
( I don't know which way the rules are going), so the motor placement is going to be critical.

Doug

Stealth Assassin
08-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I bought a ac lazer 40 I was thinking about setting up this way...

skeeler
08-01-2007, 11:07 PM
That's some nice work, Doug. Please keep us up-to-date. By the way, where can a person learn about forming fiberglass?

Jeepers
08-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Hey Doug nice motor mounts, I like the rear support I may have to do this to mine, or have you make me one!! My 1521 1.5d needed a thick piece of aluminum to support it!!!

skeeler
08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Doug,

Do you think it's necessary to add the extra support to smaller motors, for example the 1515/1Y I'm planning to put in my Titan 29?

Doug Smock
08-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Doug,

Do you think it's necessary to add the extra support to smaller motors, for example the 1515/1Y I'm planning to put in my Titan 29?

No sir, I haven't had any problems with the smaller motors on Phil's mounts. The 1521 is heavier and about 1/2" longer. I just want to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. I might run this boat (with a different motor) at the time trials next month. It can get ugly out there in a hurry.:eek:

Doug

PS I'm not sure where to send you for information about forming fiberglass. Try to do a search and see what you can come up with.

SJFE
08-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Doug,
Does Seaducer sell there hard ware alone? I'd like to pick up one of those rudders. It is carbon fiber correct?

Doug Smock
08-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Doug,
Does Seaducer sell there hard ware alone? I'd like to pick up one of those rudders. It is carbon fiber correct?

They'll sell hardware alone. The rudders are aluminum.
Here is a link. http://www.seaducerboats.com/home.htm
Check out the bottom of the home page. That is my FE-33, the current I.M.P.B.A. P- Mono SAWs world record holder.:cool:

Doug

skeeler
08-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Doug,

Did you set that record with or without the gorilla at the controls?

Doug Smock
08-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Doug,

Did you set that record with or without the gorilla at the controls?

LOL There is a long story there, one of those threads that went south:o .
No, no gorilla. There was a tall, skinny, nervous, Ga. Redneck at the wheel.:D

Doug

Doug Smock
08-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Prepared the hull for the motor mount plate and set a couple of epoxy dams. I decided to wrap the center section of the plate with kevlar. It will sit deep in the epoxy bed. Set the motor mount plate and built the shaft log assy.
Secured the shaft log with epoxy and glass.

MY CELLS CAME IN !!!!!

Doug

Doug Smock
08-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I layed kevlar over the center section and layed fiberglass over it the length of the plate on each side. If this mount comes out there will be at least a 2"x 6" hole in the keel. LOL

Made the servo / RX, RX battery tray (still have to cut it to the proper length)and a foam block that the Hydra 240 will rest on. Prepared the 240.:cool: Getting closer, I'm almost starting to shake. LOL:D

Doug

Jeepers
08-10-2007, 12:01 AM
good work! very nice Doug, you will post a video right?:D :)

Doug Smock
08-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks Jeepers. I'll find a way to get a video posted.

I painted the interior flat black, a little trademark of mine, really cleans things up.
Got everything installed, cable cut and she's ready to go!!!!!
A pic of my FE-33 in the forground for comparison.

MAIDEN VOYAGE IN ABOUT 9 HRS.:D :eek: :D :eek: LOL

Doug

Darin Jordan
08-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Doug... AWESOME!

Where did you get the trick motor mount???

Doug Smock
08-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Doug... AWESOME!

Where did you get the trick motor mount???

Hey Darin!!
Thank you sir!!!Good to hear from you.:)

I made the motor mount with hand tools, drill press, and a cheap vice mount brake from Harbor Freight:eek:

I can't wait to get this thing wet!!!

Doug

Jeepers
08-11-2007, 01:49 AM
very clean install, nice and tidy!!! are you gonna build hatches later on or just use the clear plastic hatches? either way looks sharp:D

Doug Smock
08-11-2007, 02:08 AM
very clean install, nice and tidy!!! are you gonna build hatches later on or just use the clear plastic hatches? either way looks sharp:D
Thank you sir.:)
I was thinking about building some hatches this winter. I just need to decide what they should look like.:rolleyes:

Doug

SJFE
08-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Doug does that hull not require tabs and fins?

hkusp45
08-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Doug!!

Great build! one of the best Ive seen!!

Tell us how she does!

Doug Smock
08-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Doug!!

Great build! one of the best Ive seen!!

Tell us how she does!

Thank you sir.
Tom, no sir, no fins no tabs. The IC guys will sometimes use a small turn fin on the starboard side.
Guys this boat absolutly SCREAMS!!!!!!! :D I couldn't be happier.
I'm going to go through some pics and vids and find a place to upload a vid or two.
Full mill and six laps. 1.6 miles. Motor 135', esc 125' LiPos 111' on a M645. The boat is running in the upper 50s / low 60s.:)

Thanks for the interest.
Doug

SJFE
08-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I am thrilled it worked out for you :D. It is some of the best work I have seen to date. I am impressed the hull handles so well with out the extra control surfaces.

Doug Smock
08-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks Tom!!
Here are a few pics.:)

Doug

Doug Smock
08-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Here is a 1 lap video on a 1/6th mile oval.:cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3JdjUaIeG0

Doug

SJFE
08-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Holy god!!! I havent herd that pitch out of a bl motor before. It sounds sweet. How many rpm are you getting on the straights?

Doug Smock
08-12-2007, 12:40 AM
Holy god!!! I havent herd that pitch out of a bl motor before. It sounds sweet. How many rpm are you getting on the straights?

Over 20k if I was to venture a somewhat educated guess. What you are hearing is the prop TEARING THE WATER UP:D . If you really like that sound, treat yourself to a SAWs event!!!!:D
I told you it was screaming LOL.;)

Doug

SJFE
08-12-2007, 12:44 AM
I told you it was screaming LOL.

Well you where correct.:D I had guess almost 30k. I guess that big motor don't need all the r's.

Steven Vaccaro
08-12-2007, 07:05 AM
Nice build Doug. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

The floating stuffing tube is interesting. Capt Ron was telling me he had good results using a similar method.

Doug Smock
08-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Nice build Doug. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

The floating stuffing tube is interesting. Capt Ron was telling me he had good results using a similar method.

Yes sir, Ron does good work, and was the first put electric power in Seaducer monos successfully. He has set records in Q,S, and T. At the SAWs in March he took BAM BAM (his 42" Seaducer) 75 mph!!:eek:

Doug

Doozie870
08-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Fantastic!!

Stealth Assassin
08-12-2007, 11:25 PM
HAHA! Nice... Sound really cool!:D

Doug Smock
08-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys,
Doug
Next on the list..... P-Sport

Jeepers
08-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Man thats a screamin mono!!!!!

FE_Chris
08-14-2007, 06:35 PM
That is one nice boat doug. So when are you gonna put some speed on that hull? ;) Joking man. That thing hauls.

I have only ever seen one other seaducer run. It was nitro. The hull looked to handle and ride fantasticly. And you gotta love that seaducer look. I don't think anyone else makes hulls that look quite like them.

What kind of run times you get with that thing? What kind of cells you running?

Doug Smock
08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks Chris,

With the current setup I'm thinking the runtimes will be approx 2.5 to 3 min., keeping it safe. I'm running 4x3s Neu energy 25/50 4900 packs for 6sp2.

Doug

FE_Chris
09-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Very nice setup Doug. Those packs are out of my budget, but they sure sound nice! Kinda makes me want a seaducer....maybe I figure something out for the winter as a build. Bad thing is, I hardly see them on ebay for sale.

LuckyDuc
10-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey Doug,

I would like to do an "irrigated tube" setup as well, and I was wondering if you ran the teflon liner without a stuffing tube directly into the strut. If so, was there a lot of slop between the teflon liner and the front of the strut. What size liner and flex cable did you use?

Thanks.

Darin Jordan
10-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey Doug,

I would like to do an "irrigated tube" setup as well, and I was wondering if you ran the teflon liner without a stuffing tube directly into the strut. If so, was there a lot of slop between the teflon liner and the front of the strut. What size liner and flex cable did you use?

Thanks.

I use a floating stuffing tube in all my monos these days... Here is a drawing that shows how I did it in my 32" Wildthing P-Mono... .187 cable... can't recall the exact size of the stuffing tube and teflon, but the outter piece of brass that houses it all is 3/4" I believe...

LuckyDuc
10-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the pic Darin. This is my first irrigated floating stuffing tube attempt.
I'm using a Non-stinger style strut, but if I understand your diagram correctly... just the teflon liner and cable is exiting the hull and entering the strut?

Darin Jordan
10-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the pic Darin. This is my first irrigated floating stuffing tube attempt.
I'm using a Non-stinger style strut, but if I understand your diagram correctly... just the teflon liner and cable is exiting the hull and entering the strut?

Here is pic of another boat with a standard strut... Yes, in this case, I'm using a wire drive, so I just ran the teflon into the strut. On a cable, I run the entire brass stuffing tube (inner one) into the strut....

Gerwin Brommer
10-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Doug.

Something wrong with the video-link ? All I see is a clock ?

blakybob
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Strange but worthy this subject should get resurected from 2007, I was just talking to Doug about this Sunday at the pond in Atlanta holding a piece of rubber 1/2" conduit in my hand. Darin, what did you use for the tube part and what size is it? Looks 3/8"ish.

Blake

Darin Jordan
10-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Strange but worthy this subject should get resurected from 2007, I was just talking to Doug about this Sunday at the pond in Atlanta holding a piece of rubber 1/2" conduit in my hand. Darin, what did you use for the tube part and what size is it? Looks 3/8"ish.

Blake

The boat in the second picture is an N1-Mono, so it's only 22" and it uses a 1/16" (.061") wiredrive, so the ID of the outter tube doesn't need to be very big... I think you are right... it's 3/8" or 11/32 or so...

The P-Mono in the previous pictures is around 3/4" or so...

Won't build another mono that doesn't have a flooded shaft.... Just works!

LuckyDuc
10-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I wonder how far back I need to float a piece of 1/4" tube to get enough flex/ movement at the strut... 6" from the transom? More?

Doug Smock
10-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Doug.

Something wrong with the video-link ? All I see is a clock ?
Hi Gerwin, the last video I uploaded was the clock.Try this link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sdfe33#p/u/7/W3JdjUaIeG0

Doug:tiphat:

Doug Smock
10-22-2009, 12:38 PM
On a cable, I run the entire brass stuffing tube (inner one) into the strut....

Since this build I have done the same thing. When I started SAWing this boat I realized the teflon had to go. Shortly after that I had to get away from my FM radio, and in came the 2.4. My FM radio didn't like the cable in brass at those high rpms.

I have a 42" mono I'm getting ready to setup. Should be interesting, I'll be running a 1/4" cable and a offset strut. I'll post some pics when I get to that point.

Doug