PDA

View Full Version : Setups

NitroVal
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I guess I'll do the honor of asking if anyone has tried different settings on the boat, and whether they work or not..
Post what ya got, and GPS speeds if ya got em.. :banana:

Chris Nicastro
09-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Stock 36mm props, stock motors, stock ESC's, drive angle 0deg, 4S 3200 Venom Lipos packs = max speed before props fail 48mph on Garmin GPS

OldSoldier99
10-09-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm working on the following setup... suggestions/warnings requested:

First, I'm new to the forums and don't have much experience with boats (I'm a monster truck guy). Here's what I've done to my EKOS so far:

1. Converted to Traxxas high-current connectors for compatibility with my other vehicles and batteries.

2. Connected the two battery inputs to each other. The idea was to make sure each ESC had access to the same amount of power ( in case the batteries were not perfectly matched or evenly charged).

3. Installed a series battery adapter to allow me to run two 2s cell batteries as a 4s battery.

I found that everything works well and the boat is wicked fast for about 5 seconds. I realized my Lipos are not rated for 60 + 60=120amps continuous... they are only good for about 100amps. So as I see it, I have two choices...either I get higher rated 2s batteries or buy some expen$ive 4$ batteries. What do you guys think?

OldSoldier
EKOS and Brushless Pro Boat PT-109

Fluid
10-09-2009, 10:41 AM
1. Coverted to Traxxas high-current connectors for compatibility with my other vehicles and batteries.
Not a great idea. Those connectors are high resistance for a boat - boats are not trucks and they draw far more current. The best solution is to use 5.5 mm gold connectors. Reducing the plug resistance will mean less heat and more power going to the motors.

2. Connected the two battery inputs to each other. The idea was to make sure each ESC had access to the same amount of power ( in case the batteries were not perfectly matched or evenly charged).
If this means adding more wire - bad idea if I understand what you did and not necessary. The goal is to use the minimum length of wire everywhere to reduce resistance. Excessive wire length will cook your ESCs. The two motors will never be perfectly matched in rpm no matter what you do.

3. Installed a series battery adapter to allow me to run two 2s cell batteries as a 4s battery.
Adapters can be good, but they need to have the minimum length of wire practical. If you use the 5.5 plugs you won't need those high-resistance "adapters".

I found that everything works well and the boat is wicked fast for about 5 seconds. I realized my Lipos are not rated for 60 + 60=120amps continuous... they are only good for about 100amps. So as I see it, I have two choices...either I get higher rated 2C batteries or buy some expen$ive 4$ batteries. What do you guys think?

What happens after 5 seconds? Does it stop? Does it burst into flames? What cells are you using? Why do you think that you are using 120 amps? We can't give meaningful help without more detailed information....

OldSoldier99
10-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Fluid,
Thanks for your reples. Two things:

1) I thought the new Traxxas High-Current connectors were created specifically for high power/low resistance brushless applications like this. They are supposed to be as good or better than Deans Ultra connectors. Brushless ESCs for monster trucks are routinely rated at over 100 amps. I'm not talking about the old Tamiya-style connectors that most RC cars and trucks use.

2)

I found that everything works well and the boat is wicked fast for about 5 seconds. I realized my Lipos are not rated for 60 + 60=120amps continuous... they are only good for about 100amps. So as I see it, I have two choices...either I get higher rated 2C batteries or buy some expen$ive 4$ batteries. What do you guys think?

What happens after 5 seconds? Does it stop? Does it burst into flames? What cells are you using? Why do you think that you are using 120 amps? We can't give meaningful help without more detailed information....

After about 5 seconds of wicked fast running, the boat slows down to about 2s speed. No matter how far you pull the trigger on the transmitter, it wont go any faster than about 2s speed. I assumed my batteries were not capable of providing any more current. I got the 120 amp figure from the fact that there are two 60amp ESCs in the EKOS. Since I have the batteries in series, I assume they would have to be capable of 60+60=120amps at full throttle. My cells are Zippy Lipo 30C, 2s, 5000. I think the 30C rating is the burst rating and I think the continous rating is 20C. 20C x 5000=100amps battery capacity.

Chris Nicastro
10-09-2009, 11:47 AM
What your seeing is the ESC's demanding a lot of power and your packs are delivering the best of the top of the charge which you could call the Burst Current. Then the pack settles in for the remainder of the run and just provides its usual discharge power.
When you get the chance you should get a couple of 3S 5400, or anything over 4000mah, packs. That will give you better runtime and higher speeds. You could go to 4S 3200-3600mah packs that will just squeeze into the hull/hatch w/o any mods.

Fluid
10-09-2009, 02:22 PM
1) I thought the new Traxxas High-Current connectors were created specifically for high power/low resistance brushless applications like this. They are supposed to be as good or better than Deans Ultra connectors. Brushless ESCs for monster trucks are routinely rated at over 100 amps. I'm not talking about the old Tamiya-style connectors that most RC cars and trucks use.

It doesn't matter what trucks are "rated" to pull, boats pull a higher continuous amperage. There have been hundreds of car and truck guys who thought like this before they found out the facts the hard way. I'm just trying to save you from a train wreck.

Deans connectors are only good for about 60 amps. Replace the cheezy car plugs with high-quality 5.5 mm gold connectors which are good for well over 100 amps continuous.

2) After about 5 seconds of wicked fast running, the boat slows down to about 2s speed. No matter how far you pull the trigger on the transmitter, it wont go any faster than about 2s speed. I assumed my batteries were not capable of providing any more current.
Perhaps, but to lose half the voltage is not just burning off the top of the charge - it means the packs you have are junk. This is strange because the Zippy packs I've seen are better than this. The lousy connectors could be part of the problem, or it could be the bridge you have between the packs. Set the boat back up the way it came from the factory.

I got the 120 amp figure from the fact that there are two 60amp ESCs in the EKOS. Since I have the batteries in series, I assume they would have to be capable of 60+60=120amps at full throttle....

The motors will pull the amps demanded of them from the props and hull - it is usually well under the ESC's rating in RTRs. You can prop up and pull 100+ amps per motor. Poorly aligned drivelines and a wet running boat can do the same thing. These are not Hacker or Neu racing motors, they won't pull huge amps unless something is wrong.

If your packs are okay, then the problem is likely something you have done to modify the boat's electrics. Put them back the way they came and try again to see if you still have the same problems. Otherwise it may be something wrong with the ESCs. Problems like this are difficult to diagnose by remote control....

Chris Nicastro
10-09-2009, 02:47 PM
OH! you made a 4S pack from 2 X 2S packs to run both motors? I missed that if thats that case then you just dont have enough battery to do that from 5000mah total. For the power demands this boat has you need 2 X 4S packs (or whatever you want to run) or your going to damage your packs from over stressing them and temps. If you run it with the individual packs your total capacity is over 10,000mah. Your just quick discharging a smaller pack thats why your not seeing the run time but you are seeing the performance potential.

The ESC's are rated for 60A and you cant go wrong with the EC3 plug or Deans Ultra or the Traxxas plug. If you upgrade to higher power equipment then change the plugs to high current bullets or something you like better.

Brushless55
10-09-2009, 09:01 PM
After about 5 seconds of wicked fast running, the boat slows down to about 2s speed. No matter how far you pull the trigger on the transmitter, it wont go any faster than about 2s speed. I assumed my batteries were not capable of providing any more current. I got the 120 amp figure from the fact that there are two 60amp ESCs in the EKOS. Since I have the batteries in series, I assume they would have to be capable of 60+60=120amps at full throttle. My cells are Zippy Lipo 30C, 2s, 5000. I think the 30C rating is the burst rating and I think the continous rating is 20C. 20C x 5000=100amps battery capacity.

I think those batteries should be 30c cont.. so 150amps cont..
and 40c burst..
Possibly

OldSoldier99
10-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks to all for your wisdom. I will make some changes over the weekend and report back. I have ordered some 4S 4000mah batteries, but it will take a few days for them to arrive.

OldSoldier

OldSoldier99
10-10-2009, 01:31 AM
I think those batteries should be 30c cont.. so 150amps cont..
and 40c burst..
Possibly

I just looked it up on the Hobby King website. You are correct:thumbup1:...the constant rating is 30C and burst is 40C. If the ratings are accurate, that should be enough power to run my unorthodox setup. I'm begining to suspect Fluid is right and my modifications are suspect. I'll make some changes and report back later.

By the way, have you guys already fought the Zippy vs. MaxAmps war on this forum? I've seen that war fought on some of the truck forums.

Thanks again to all.
OldSoldier

OldSoldier99
10-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Deans connectors are only good for about 60 amps. Replace the cheezy car plugs with high-quality 5.5 mm gold connectors which are good for well over 100 amps continuous.

My Castle Creations Mamba Max Monster ESCs use the 5.5mm gold bullet connectors you speak of. I have a few extras on my work bench. The only down side is they are not keyed for polarity so you are on your own to make sure you don't mess up. I guess at this level of the hobby we should be able to handle that......as long as we're sober :beerchug:

The other issue with the bullet connectors is battery storage. If you lay them down or they fall, there is a great chance of them shorting. I assume you have covers for them and replace the covers as soon as you remove them from the boat.

OldSoldier99
10-10-2009, 02:01 AM
When you get the chance you should get a couple of 3S 5400, or anything over 4000mah, packs. That will give you better runtime and higher speeds. You could go to 4S 3200-3600mah packs that will just squeeze into the hull/hatch w/o any mods.

I have a Venom 3S 5400 that I use in one of my monster trucks. I was not sure it would fit in this boat. What is the max height in the battery compartment. I've estimated it to be 30mm.

Fluid
10-10-2009, 09:03 AM
My Castle Creations Mamba Max Monster ESCs use the 5.5mm gold bullet connectors you speak of. I have a few extras on my work bench. The only down side is they are not keyed for polarity so you are on your own to make sure you don't mess up. I guess at this level of the hobby we should be able to handle that.......

Nope, polarize them yourself. Put the male on the negative wire on the pack and the female on the positive. Don't put males on both pack wires! I have seen too many experienced guys - who run non-polarized 5.5s - plug in the wrong wires and fry their ESC.....

OldSoldier99
10-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Nope, polarize them yourself. Put the male on the negative wire on the pack and the female on the positive. Don't put males on both pack wires! I have seen too many experienced guys - who run non-polarized 5.5s - plug in the wrong wires and fry their ESC.....

Fluid,
That sounds so simple, yet I never would have thought of that! You rock!:rockon2:

NitroVal
10-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Here's the new (pending) setup. Just waiting on Venom to get a new damned flexshaft sent to me.. :hornets_nest:

Dual Etti 150A ESCs
Etti 35V Cap Banks
Neu 5S 4000mah batts
Stock Venom motors (for now)
Octura x442 props
8 ga. battery wire w/6mm bullets

Gonna shoot for 60mph with a light trigger finger (try not to melt anything before then).
After that 60mph mark, I'm gonna see what these motors are made of (70mph??)

RCprince
10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
51,000 rpms+ sounds like a recipe for death to me. in addition to a 380 motor pushing a 442 prop! personally, I wouldn't subject 300 bucks worth of esc's to that, but then again, without adventurers where would we be? Just my 1 cent.

Brushless55
10-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Dang, on 5s those motors will be smokin!
well uh hopefully not... :crying:

good luck! :thumbup1:

NitroVal
10-11-2009, 01:54 PM
EH, Oh well if she blows.. Its just a toy.
Everyone thought the the first nuclear bomb would ignite the whole atmosphere, and now they control the world's fears...:flashfire:

OldSoldier99
10-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I just looked it up on the Hobby King website. You are correct:thumbup1:...the constant rating is 30C and burst is 40C. If the ratings are accurate, that should be enough power to run my unorthodox setup. I'm begining to suspect Fluid is right and my modifications are suspect. I'll make some changes and report back later.

By the way, have you guys already fought the Zippy vs. MaxAmps war on this forum? I've seen that war fought on some of the truck forums.

Thanks again to all.
OldSoldier

OK...here's what I tried over the weekend:

First I cut my connecting wires to reduce the amount of wire (spelled resistance) that was introduced with my modifications (Fluid's suggestion). The 2s Zippy FlightMax 5000s in series ran the boat well for about 2 minutes with wicked fast speed. After that, I suspect the ESCs dropped into low voltage mode.

I then swapped in a pair of ThunderPower 3s 5000 40C (had to tape the hatch down because of the tight fit). I ran the pair of 3s batteries in parallel. The EKOS performed so well, that I'm begining to think the 4s batteries I ordered are over-kill....but I can't wait to try them :w00t:

Ub Hauled
10-12-2009, 12:43 AM
EH, Oh well if she blows.. Its just a toy.
Everyone thought the the first nuclear bomb would ignite the whole atmosphere, and now they control the world's fears...:flashfire:

they are the world's fears.

Brushless55
10-12-2009, 12:47 PM
and those who made the bomb had no Idea what would happen!
high kv brushless motors with lots of volts = hmmmm :confused2:

Chris Nicastro
10-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I suggest using the 32mm 1.4 pitch props in aluminum and even then your going to overload the motors for sure on 5S. A short burst and long pause to control temps might work but you should consider swapping out the motors for lower KV or longer cans or both.

Brushless55
10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
A 5s SAW run could be plausable....
and fast!

OldSoldier99
10-13-2009, 11:45 PM
A 5s SAW run could be plausable....
and fast!

SAW run :confused: :confused1:

NitroVal
10-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Got the flexshafts in today, so Im gonna work feverishly tomorrow morning to get everything back together. Gotta go take down a lightning struck tree at noon, so I think I'll be busy for the rest of the week. Hopefully some test runs on the weekend

chummer
10-14-2009, 07:40 AM
SAW run :confused: :confused1:

Straighaways

Brushless55
10-15-2009, 01:52 AM
In other words
One really fast run :buttrock:

OldSoldier99
10-18-2009, 12:34 AM
All, I just bought a pair of Zippy FlightMax 4s 5000s. If you remove the foam from the canopy they just barely fit. You will have to tape the canopy down (which I do anyway). The boat runs well and wicked fast! :banana: Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get a speed run with GPS (my daughter needed my GPS). My wife just bought me a new GPS today :thumbup1: so I'm back in business (bless her heart! Guess I'll keep her!) Weather is bad on east coast this weekend, but I might get a chance to put her in the water Sunday after church (the EKOS...not the wife). I'm amazed at how stable the boat is at 4s speed!! Anyone else got numbers???

NitroVal
10-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Just finished mine (5S) and Im gonna dump her in the lake tomorrow for some test runs..
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?p=132595#post132595

Brushless55
10-18-2009, 12:56 AM
All, I just bought a pair of Zippy FlightMax 4s 5000s. If you remove the foam from the canopy they just barely fit. You will have to tape the canopy down (which I do anyway). The boat runs well and wicked fast! :banana: Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get a speed run with GPS (my daughter needed my GPS). My wife just bought me a new GPS today :thumbup1: so I'm back in business (bless her heart! Guess I'll keep her!) Weather is bad on east coast this weekend, but I might get a chance to put her in the water Sunday after church (the EKOS...not the wife). I'm amazed at how stable the boat is at 4s speed!! Anyone else got numbers???

let us know how she runs after church! :thumbup1:

OldSoldier99
10-18-2009, 07:10 PM

OK...I got numbers Drumroll please.... 44.6 MPH!! I would have included a picture from the GPS unit, but I don't know how to add pictures in the Forum.

OldSoldier

NitroVal
10-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Not bad. That was with stock props??
Best way to post pictures is to upload them to a hosting site like Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), then they will give you a like to post here..

OldSoldier99
10-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Not bad. That was with stock props??
Best way to post pictures is to upload them to a hosting site like Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), then they will give you a like to post here..

Yes, I used the stock props. I just received my 36mm aluminum props from Venom. I will try them next time I get out to the lake. Here is a pic.

Rumdog
10-18-2009, 09:36 PM
how'd ya get it out of the boat with the hatch still taped up?

RCprince
10-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Stop it! Rumdog.

Rumdog
10-18-2009, 09:41 PM
hehehe

NitroVal
10-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Oh f**k, here we go with this crap again...

Brushless55
10-19-2009, 01:30 AM
OK...I got numbers Drumroll please.... 44.6 MPH!! I would have included a picture from the GPS unit, but I don't know how to add pictures in the Forum.

OldSoldier

Awesome job man! :banana:

Akoni
10-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Yes, I used the stock props. I just received my 36mm aluminum props from Venom. I will try them next time I get out to the lake. Here is a pic.

Did you get temps on the motors or esc with 4S?

OldSoldier99
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM

I taped the GPS to the outside of the canopy inside a waterproof bag. I'm sure the extra wind drag didn't help my numbers. I was afraid the GPS would not be able to get a signal inside the hull....but I've never tried it.

OldSoldier99
10-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Did you get temps on the motors or esc with 4S?

No...I didn't take the temps with a temp gun, but I did check them by hand and they were just warm. Keep in mind it was a fairly cool day...about 45 degrees.

OldSoldier99
10-19-2009, 09:10 AM

I only got 40MPH with the new aluminum props. Not what I was expecting... I noticed it seemed to take a little longer to get up on plane with the aluminum props. I expected it to be faster than the stock plastic props. What did I do wrong? Was I supposed to balance and sharpen? Keep in mind I'm new to boats before you start with the flaming arrows :biggrin:

OldSoldier99
10-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Oh f**k, here we go with this crap again...

I'm getting the impression I'm missing something here..... You Senior members are up to something....

OldSoldier

NitroVal
10-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Did you get the red props or the "as-cast" props. The red props are CNC'd and shouldnt need balancing. The "as-cast" ones do need balancing. There is a possibility the step up in prop size may have been too much. The stock plastic props are only 32mm in diameter.

OldSoldier99
10-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Did you get the red props or the "as-cast" props. The red props are CNC'd and shouldnt need balancing. The "as-cast" ones do need balancing. There is a possibility the step up in prop size may have been too much. The stock plastic props are only 32mm in diameter.

I got the "as-cast" props not the red ones. I noticed that the blades did not look particularly sharp. I guess you get you pay for as the red ones are expensive.

Brushless55
10-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I got the "as-cast" props not the red ones. I noticed that the blades did not look particularly sharp. I guess you get you pay for as the red ones are expensive.

I think all metal props do not come with a sharp edge.. no biggie just a little work to make them sweet! :thumbup1:

OldSoldier99
10-21-2009, 08:39 PM
I think all metal props do not come with a sharp edge.. no biggie just a little work to make them sweet! :thumbup1:

OK, so I sharpened the blades, but did not balance them. I've never done either before, but I understand the concept. I did not have my balancer with me. I assume its done the same as with plane propellers. I have balancer that I use for plane propellers. Anyway, I got 48MPH on this run!!:banana:

Again I failed to take temps.

Brushless55
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
OK, so I sharpened the blades, but did not balance them. I've never done either before, but I understand the concept. I did not have my balancer with me. I assume its done the same as with plane propellers. I have balancer that I use for plane propellers. Anyway, I got 48MPH on this run!!:banana:

Yes!
great job man.. :banana:
looking at your wires, if you redid them I can see a couple more mph!

OldSoldier99
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Nitroval,
How would my boat do using your x442 blades and my 4s stock setup?

Brushless55
10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
those could put a strain on your motors?
alot of prop on 4s

Rumdog
10-21-2009, 08:52 PM
No need to balance aluminum props guys, just sharpen em up!

OldSoldier99
10-21-2009, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the tip Rumdog! So now I have another question... I noticed after my 48MPH run that the boat was running kind of strangely. It sounded like the props were slipping or something...especially at lower speeds. Seemed to drive OK at full throttle. Didn't sound right at low and mid throttle range. I put new grease in the tubes and checked my set screws (except for the motor pinion set screws that can't be reached because of the motor brace.

I know this is a poor description, but any ideas??:confused2::confused2:

Rumdog
10-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Sounds like a loose coupler. Check all the set screws. It may also just be that these props cavitate more during launch and slow speed, then once on plane hook up well. Make the leading edge as sharp as you can while trying not to affect the shape of the prop at all.

OldSoldier99
10-21-2009, 09:23 PM

I noticed on the way home from the lake that my GPS reads 2MPH lower than my car on cruise control. So can I count this a 50MPH?:sarcasm1:

OldSoldier99
10-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Hey Rumdog... I cut some foam out of the canopy and stick my GPS device inside the hull now. I Still don't know what I missed on the inside joke earlier in this thread.

Rumdog
10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Ahh, Nitroval was implying that I didn't believe your gps reading because of my comment about your hatch.

Brushless55
10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the tip Rumdog! So now I have another question... I noticed after my 48MPH run that the boat was running kind of strangely. It sounded like the props were slipping or something...especially at lower speeds. Seemed to drive OK at full throttle. Didn't sound right at low and mid throttle range. I put new grease in the tubes and checked my set screws (except for the motor pinion set screws that can't be reached because of the motor brace.

I know this is a poor description, but any ideas??:confused2::confused2:

smaller props do this vs lager props..
samller props take a bit to hook up

NitroVal
10-21-2009, 09:49 PM
I wouldnt run 442 props with 4S. I ran the 442s on 3S and the ESCs and batteries were pretty warm after each run, plus I babied it during acceleration.
As for the inside joke, some people on here want video confirmation, 3 witnesses, one being a municipal judge of good moral standing, one being a priest and an the other an ex-girlfriend, a voice recording of verbal confirmation, a letter from god, and a horoscope reading from that day in order to believe any attempt at any speed..

OldSoldier99
10-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Ahh, Nitroval was implying that I didn't believe your gps reading because of my comment about your hatch.

Ahhhh now I get it!! Just remember...OldSoldiers never lie :tape:

RCprince
10-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Rumdog... I cut some foam out of the canopy and stick my GPS device inside the hull now. I Still don't know what I missed on the inside joke earlier in this thread.

It started from guys posting bogus speed runs with out videos and gps actually in the boat for confirmation. Some alluded to the fact that the gps speeds were acquired by driving down the highway.

Brushless55
10-21-2009, 09:58 PM
OldSoldier99, great job on this new speed!
Looks like you could be the first over 50mph! :thumbup1:

Brushless55
10-21-2009, 09:59 PM
It started from guys posting bogus speed runs with out videos an gps actually in the boat for confirmation. Some alluded to the fact that the gps speeds were acquired by driving down the highway.

yes, and never came back to back it up.. :doh:

NitroVal
10-21-2009, 10:01 PM
It started from guys posting bogus speed runs with out videos an gps actually in the boat for confirmation. Some alluded to the fact that the gps speeds were acquired by driving down the highway.

Yup, and some fail to realize that even videos of GPS in the boats can be faulted...

Apparently the honor system no longer exists :doh:

chummer
10-21-2009, 10:04 PM

Why is this not important?:confused: Does it have to do with the weight of Aluminum?

Meaning that it would take alot of extra material on one blade to make it out of balance?

Rumdog
10-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Correct

Brushless55
10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Correct

This is good to know, I would have balanced the prop.. :thumbup1:

OldSoldier99
10-22-2009, 11:13 AM
It started from guys posting bogus speed runs with out videos and gps actually in the boat for confirmation. Some alluded to the fact that the gps speeds were acquired by driving down the highway.

:roflol: Oh...so I gotta do video too? OK....starting to sound like work.

Brushless55
10-22-2009, 11:18 AM
No, your doing great man!
just some got all bent when asked for some pictures or something to back up their claims of having high speeds with this boat.. :frusty:

OldSoldier99
10-28-2009, 09:13 PM
:help: I can't break 48MPH with my current setup. I have a pair of 4s 5000 25C Zippy Lipos that I run in parallel. I'm going to clean up my wiring as suggested in this forum as soon as I get some more time to work on it.

After that, I'm not sure what to try. I'm already using the aluminum Venom blades (36mm). I don't know if the batteries are not as strong as advertised or if something else is keeping me below 50MPH? My last run only made it to 46MPH according to GPS.

Brushless55
10-28-2009, 09:15 PM
have you done any strut adjustments?

Rumdog
10-28-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't think that it will break 50 in stock form.

OldSoldier99
10-29-2009, 10:30 PM
have you done any strut adjustments?

No...I have not tried any strut adjustment...Are you talking about the angle of the blades relative to the Transom?

OldSoldier99
10-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't think that it will break 50 in stock form.

Any suggestions Rumdog???

OldSoldier99
10-29-2009, 10:33 PM
OK...I cleaned up the wiring and if all goes well, I'll take it by the lake tomorrow morning when I drop my son off at school (school is near the lake). I'll be sure to take the GPS and let you guys know what happened.

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 11:44 PM
No...I have not tried any strut adjustment...Are you talking about the angle of the blades relative to the Transom?

what is your strut angle?
if they do need some adjustment this could help get more speed

OldSoldier99
10-30-2009, 07:56 AM
what is your strut angle?
if they do need some adjustment this could help get more speed

I'm running zero strut angle (neutral). Flat as a pancake.

But, I think my rudder angle is off from the stock setting because the rudder hit something in the water and got bent backwards. I could not get it back exactly straight up and down so I'm still running a little positive rudder angle.

For any other newbies like me, I'm getting my definitions of strut angle, and positive and negative, etc from the Aquacraft SuperVee tuning page (http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub22-tuning.html):

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub22-tuning.html

Brushless55
10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Thats what I've used to from my SV manual..
What about your COG ?

NitroVal
10-30-2009, 06:18 PM
If you wanna break 50mph on GPS, just find a river with a strong current and run with the river.. Instant 10 mph gain for free..

Brushless55
10-30-2009, 07:32 PM
If you wanna break 50mph on GPS, just find a river with a strong current and run with the river.. Instant 10 mph gain for free..

:rockon2:

OldSoldier99
10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
OK...I cleaned up the wiring and if all goes well, I'll take it by the lake tomorrow morning when I drop my son off at school (school is near the lake). I'll be sure to take the GPS and let you guys know what happened.

Almost made it.... 48.8MPH is the best I could get even after reducing the lengths of all the wiring to minimum. I'm using Traxxas connectors (the new ones...not the old Tamiya connectors that melt).

Brushless55
10-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Almost made it.... 48.8MPH is the best I could get even after reducing the lengths of all the wiring to minimum. I'm using Traxxas connectors (the new ones...not the old Tamiya connectors that melt).

try it down hill! ahhhh :w00t:

OldSoldier99
11-01-2009, 01:28 AM
:rofl:

OldSoldier99
11-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Thats what I've used to from my SV manual..
What about your COG ?

I know COG stands for center of gravity, but I don't know how to answer the question. All the weight is in the batteries and the batteries sit in the stock battery tray so I'd say the COG is about 2/3 to 3/4ths of the way toward the stern.

I'm thinking a smaller/lighter set of batteries would reduce the weight...perhaps a pair of 4s 4000s. The 5000s are heavy. 4000 at 25C would be 100A...that would be plenty of power for a 60A speed controller.

Brushless55
11-01-2009, 01:45 AM
getting less mass in their could help?

RCprince
11-01-2009, 01:54 AM
ThunderPower have added some 45c lipos. some 4s 2650's would put out 119amps @ 295 grams

OldSoldier99
11-04-2009, 06:30 PM
ThunderPower have added some 45c lipos. some 4s 2650's would put out 119amps @ 295 grams

I just sold one of my laptops and got some new lipo batteries (I had one but needed a second one to pair up with it). I got MaxAmps 4s 4000mAH 20C 365 grams (actually thought they were 40C...didn't read the fine print at first). If you've been following this thread you know I've been trying to break the 50MPH barrier on 4s batteries, but I've been stuck at 48.8 MPH using my Zippy Lipo 4s 5000mAH 25C 506 grams batteries.

In theory, the Zippys should be better because they have both a higher C rating and a higher capacity...but they also weigh 165 grams more times 2 for two batteries that's 330 grams more weight. I'll keep ya posted.

OldSoldier

Brushless55
11-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Keep it going man! :beerchug:

Jeff Wohlt
11-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Bring your strut up 1/16" at a time until she starts to really loosen up.

Make sure you grease your flex lightly and then run some 3-n-1 oil down it and slip it in. Same with shaft end.

Make sure that rudder is not slowing you down...if you want you can cut some off which is scrubbing some speed. Take the turn fin off as well and tape the holes up.

I would also consider one more step up in pitch on the prop if you can and make sure it is very sharp.

You certainly want to use some 600 paper WD and lightly sand the sponson bottoms to get them nice,smooth and leather feeling. Use a little water when sanding these lightly.

OldSoldier99
11-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for all the tips! Unfortunately, when I went to try my new batteries, I found out my port sid ESC is not working. I get power to the receiver, the rudder works, and starboard ESC works. The ESC is supposed to beep 4 times for a 4s battery. The starboard side ESC beeps, but the port side ESC does not.

On other parts of this forum, I think I saw that others have had problems with these stock ESCs. Guess I'll have to see if Venom support will send me another one.

Brushless55
11-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for all the tips! Unfortunately, when I went to try my new batteries, I found out my port sid ESC is not working. I get power to the receiver, the rudder works, and starboard ESC works. The ESC is supposed to beep 4 times for a 4s battery. The starboard side ESC beeps, but the port side ESC does not.

On other parts of this forum, I think I saw that others have had problems with these stock ESCs. Guess I'll have to see if Venom support will send me another one.

Swap out the escs connections left to right and see if that helps..

Rumdog
11-10-2009, 09:28 PM
cricket...........cricket

NitroVal
11-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Ran my new setup a few days ago.. Etti 150s, Turnigy 2300kVs, 5S, 442 props..
Runs extremely fast. Will need to alter the CG some more to keep it pasted to the water..

Chris Nicastro
11-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Troubleshoot the Y-harness to see if its a bad connection keeping the ESC from arming. Thats another possibility and simple to check.

OldSoldier99
11-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Troubleshoot the Y-harness to see if its a bad connection keeping the ESC from arming. Thats another possibility and simple to check.

Ok...I'm awake now. Got a little busy. I tried everything mentioned in this forum. Swapping the power and receiver wires made no difference. The port ESC still does not work.

The port ESC is the one that does not work, but it also provides power for the receiver and rudder control which work fine. Even the starboard ESC works fine even though the power for the receiver is coming from the port ESC.

I got in touch with Venom support yesterday. They told me to send in the ESC. I've seen ESCs fail before, but they usually pop, explode, catch fire, or at least smell like burnt electronics. This one has none of those symptoms. It is strange because I never used more than 4s and its rated for 5s and some have even tried 6s (although there is note in the documentation now that says don't run at 6s).

NitroVal
11-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Remember that just because it is rated to 6S doesnt mean it will handle 6S with any motor. a 2850kV 380 motor will require alot of amps to move such a big boat. I kind of wish I had my amp meter hooked up when I ran 3S with the 442 props, but Im sure it would have been right at the 60amp (or more) limit of the ESCs.

Brushless55
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Ok...I'm awake now. Got a little busy. I tried everything mentioned in this forum. Swapping the power and receiver wires made no difference. The port ESC still does not work.

The port ESC is the one that does not work, but it also provides power for the receiver and rudder control which work fine. Even the starboard ESC works fine even though the power for the receiver is coming from the port ESC.

I got in touch with Venom support yesterday. They told me to send in the ESC. I've seen ESCs fail before, but they usually pop, explode, catch fire, or at least smell like burnt electronics. This one has none of those symptoms. It is strange because I never used more than 4s and its rated for 5s and some have even tried 6s (although there is note in the documentation now that says don't run at 6s).

That sucks..
I'm sure you have checked the motor connectors on the esc to make sure the have a good solder job?
If it is a bad esc, I hope very much it does not take long to get a new one :thumbup1:

NitroVal
11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t212ynlGhZg

Oh well.. Just a $30 motor...

Rumdog
11-12-2009, 06:06 PM
nice and fast! Try lower kv motors, some proboat motors would rock in this boat on 5s!!

NitroVal
11-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Yea, I gave these Turnigy's a try after following that thread that mudl made about his BJ26 doing 80mph on a set of 2600kV on 5S... Im starting to wonder how he did it...

RCprince
11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
2 different hulls and setups

NitroVal
11-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Not that far off.. He has 8" less than me, and possibly better ESCs, but more motor. My motor flew apart and its only 2300kv. His stayed together with 2600kv. I think its a matter of motor RPM more than motor load. Im actually a little surprised. I thought these motors would last a little longer that 2 runs. Its turning almost the same RPM as the stock motors do with 4S.

RCprince
11-12-2009, 07:20 PM
The 2300 may have lower kv, but I will doubt the torque is greater than that of the 2600, since the 2600 has a larger rotor = larger magnetic foot print.

NitroVal
11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Well thats my point, the 2600kv would have a larger rotational mass and higher centrifugal force, causing it (in theory) to come apart faster than a 2300kv at the same voltage

Brushless55
11-12-2009, 07:52 PM
BJ motors on 5s or even 6s would rock :rockon2:

lomdel
11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Will 540 L-size can brushless motors fit on the EKOS stock motor mount? What mod would be neccessary to fit 3/16 props on the stock shafts? I plan to run 2 9L cans through 2 120A esc's off 2 3S 25C lipos with X442 props...

NitroVal
11-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Will 540 L-size can brushless motors fit on the EKOS stock motor mount? What mod would be neccessary to fit 3/16 props on the stock shafts? I plan to run 2 9L cans through 2 120A esc's off 2 3S 25C lipos with X442 props...

AFAIK, 540s wont fit the stock mounts. I want to say I tried it once with a CC motor I had for mockup. If you want 540s, you will have to do a mount swap.
I forget what size brass tube it is, but to mount up 3/16" props, all you need is a few spacers like these http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-1030

BondoBrushless
02-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Update on running 4s ???

sippirat
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
+1 on Bondo the Boozehound........... im about to buy an EKOS and am curious to see how Oldtimer comes out

sippirat
03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
oldsoldier99 updates?

VIKOS
03-03-2010, 05:56 AM
isn't it 4mm flex shafts that come with the EKOS anyways...does anyone know any other flex shaft that can be used in the EKOS other than the venom back ordered set up...I really can"t take this witing that there causing...

forescott
03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
isn't it 4mm flex shafts that come with the EKOS anyways...does anyone know any other flex shaft that can be used in the EKOS other than the venom back ordered set up...I really can"t take this witing that there causing...

Are you looking for a shaft? I may have an extra. What side are you looking for?

VIKOS
03-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Doesn't matter both motors are counter routating. But it's the left side that is missing. Do u guys think you need the white washer that goes on before the dog bone. Guys here say they have stopped using prop spacers on there shafts So do I really need it.

Chris Nicastro
03-03-2010, 06:16 PM
The flex shaft does matter because they are wound for their respective sides. Dont use a right hand shaft on the left and vice versa.

forescott
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Doesn't matter both motors are counter routating. But it's the left side that is missing. Do u guys think you need the white washer that goes on before the dog bone. Guys here say they have stopped using prop spacers on there shafts So do I really need it.

I dont use them only because I swapped my motor for ammo's and different couplers and the flex shafts are a teenie bit short. Just be sure you leave enough clearance between the drive dog and strut. you dont want to rub metal to metal once that flex shaft winds up! Oh yeah, sorry vikos I have two right side spares, no lefts. :sorry:

VIKOS
03-04-2010, 07:41 AM
damn that sucks meatballs..hey chris by any chance do you guys know when you'll be recieving those flex shafts..all I'm waiting for is shafts and washers and my charger...they might be wound to the motors but as far as not being able to use them to run..I don't think it would be a major issue. The most that would happen is i'd loose another flex shaft all together....

forescott
03-19-2010, 06:45 PM
I havent run the ekos lately because of an esc that has been not working too well. So I ordered a pair of turnigy 120's in anticipation of using the fiegao 380xl's, when ose recievs them. I found out that the ekos c.o.g. is about 32%+ with the batteries as far back as they can go. I usually run my gps in front of the battery trays, but today I managed to shove my garmin forerunner in the back of the hull. The boat seemed very fast, and I got a gps reading of 48.2mph! My fastest time yet. All this excitement has prompted me to remove the battery trays and lay down some velcro in order to get the batteries back about another 3/4". Hoping that this will bring the c.o.g. to about 28-30% where it probably needs to be.

bill1473
03-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey guys. was out on my local lake today. ran 52.7 mph on my gps before it blew over and flipped like crazy. I have been makin videos on my iphone and tryin to send them to youtube but it dosent work. anyway my question is to the guys at OSE or whoever knows best. .i am goin to put my oct 442s and want to replace my couplers,shafts ect. cause venom dosent have any in stock and mine are startin to fray at the ends.i know the 442s are a little big but i put fiego 380ls in and so far everything runs ok. want more speed!Id like to know which to order and double everything for spare parts.

forescott
03-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey guys. was out on my local lake today. ran 52.7 mph on my gps before it blew over and flipped like crazy. I have been makin videos on my iphone and tryin to send them to youtube but it dosent work. anyway my question is to the guys at OSE or whoever knows best. .i am goin to put my oct 442s and want to replace my couplers,shafts ect. cause venom dosent have any in stock and mine are startin to fray at the ends.i know the 442s are a little big but i put fiego 380ls in and so far everything runs ok. want more speed!Id like to know which to order and double everything for spare parts.

Bill, are you running your EKOS on 4s with those motors? How are your temps, and how long are your run times? Which props did you use for that last gps run?? :thumbup1:

Jeff Wohlt
03-20-2010, 01:56 PM
I will have shafts shortly. Some one still needs to test a piece of 130 cable in the coupler to be sure. I have stubs, etc and are made to stock specs.

bill1473
03-20-2010, 05:05 PM
My set up now is 2x 4s 30c thunderpower 5000 mill, 2x stock esc, fiego 380l, 36mill props and everything is watercooled seperately. Trim was up and i didt bother to take the temp cause it was hot. A little warm. I dont really beat up the boat and i grease it up pretty good everytime. As far as run times,i havent really timed it. 15-20 min

bill1473
03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Mr Holt, how long is shotly? Not to be a pain in the ass